Sunday, May 24, 2009

Oh saturdays...

So I love to do cool little projects in my free time. I've always wanted to do something to our boring, ugly, light brown coffee table we purchased from IKEA (we bought it for 30 bones way back when). I decided it needed to be black and the surface would be domino. There is a little shelf that sits on metal pegs that is not pictured because it was still drying. I am going to turn it into one large "negative" domino (black body with white dots). I sanded her down and painted the ol' girl black. I bought 350+ dominoes (a bit pricier than I imagined) and some construction adhesive and went to town.




Here are the main players... newly sexified black table and jumbo bowl of tiles.



That bowl is about 18 inches across to give you an idea of how many dominoes I used.



Here is a collage of the progress.



Finito



Isn't she lovely?

I am very pleased with how it turned out. I bought two different types of dominoes which turned out to be two different thicknesses, but the effect is still pretty rychus. I am pretty sure this is one of the cooler pieces of furniture we'll ever own. Michelle could only help with cleanup because the adhesive put off some wicked fumes... we figure the baby will be crazy enough as is since she is from my loins, no need to make it worse with noxious fumes. My brain seems to be functioning normally despite the fumes, but I did have some insane dreams last night. Other upcoming projects include poster-sized collage of our favorite places in Logan, homemade t-shirts, LED cubes, and anything else that tickles my fancy. If anyone has any other cool ideas you think we'd enjoy let me know. On another note, we're still waiting for Michelle to go into labor...I guess baby is having too good a time in her warm/wet environment. Sorry to disappoint all those who've been wondering. We're trying everything to get her to come out and play...I even bribed her with an easy bake oven...still no contractions. I'll keep you posted (blog pun intended).

8 comments:

chartie said...

Very cool, indeed. Good work!

Matt and Carolyn said...

hol crap you guys are creative!

Zack said...

That is way sweet! Definitely took it from ordinary to extraordinary! Also, let me know when I have a little niece! I'm so excited to see her!

mybanburlery's said...

looks like another dylan... i tried EVERYTHING... but he wanted to stay in WAY too long. here's to hoping she comes sooner than he did!

The Nate and Sara Project said...

So what happens to your countdown now? Does it satrt going into the negatives? :)

Cheryl said...

wow! i love it. you've out done anything i've ever seen on hgtv! :)

kim edvarchuk said...

Love the table! maybe you guys could come decorate our house!

Traci said...

HOT table!! Congrats on the baby!!