Saturday, April 2, 2011

My tummy is so happy right now...


Oh good golly miss molly!  Dinner tonight was sooo good, if I do say so myself. :) It was just me and Luce since Trey went out on a man date before the Priesthood Session.  I decided to make my most favorite soup in the world, Creamy Chicken & Gnocchi Soup.  This is my mother-in-law's recipe and it is DELICIOUS.  I hope she doesn't mind that I'm sharing it with my blog peeps.  I just have to because it is THE BOMB!  I want everyone to try it, and love it.  So here it is:

Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup

2 T olive oil
1 diced onion
1/2 package matchstick carrots
1 package gnocchi
rotisserie chicken, meat removed from bone
shredded or diced, whatever you prefer
baby spinach (stems removed)
40 oz chicken stock
1 1/2 c half and half
herbs de provence or italian seasoning
crushed red pepper flakes

Saute onions and carrots in oil with a teaspoon of herbs de provence until soft (about 4 min). Add chicken stock and crushed red pepper flakes (to taste). Bring to boil. Add gnocchi and cook until they float to the top. Add chicken, spinach (as much as you want), and more herbs.  Simmer until spinach is just wilted, and remove from heat.  Add half and half and slowly bring to simmer.


The last time I had this was right after I had Luce.  Robin made a big pot of this when she was staying with us and I ate it for lunch every day for that next week.  It was heaven sent.
    
For dessert we devoured some yummy heapsbrick oven cookies that our awesome neighbor Tamara brought us.  Visit her food blog and you can find her recipe for them, they are divine!  It was the perfect ending to a perfect dinner.

I am so happy right now.  It's funny how food can affect my mood so much.  And maybe just a little sad. :)

2 comments:

Trey said...

actually, herbs de provence is essential. italian seasoning does not even come close...

momma said...

Meesh the soup looks gorgeous. Good job. You are so very right about the herbs de provence vs Italian seasoning.