Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Great Hershey Flood of 2011

Let me give you a little timeline of the craziness we've experienced in the past month and a half:
  • August 23rd - Earthquake
  • August 28th - Hurricane Irene
  • September 2-7 - A whole lot of rain and Tropical Storm Lee (which brought a ton more rain)
September 7th was the day shiz hit the fan here in Hershey.  Our town and much of central PA was under a lot of water.  It was unbelievable!  I was glued to our TV screen for the whole day.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  I collected some images from Facebook and town websites so you can see the kind of flooding that went on here.
This is Hershey Park and Zoo America.  2 bison died because of the flood.  So sad. :(
Here are some images from around town...the Pizza Hut was almost completely underwater and so was that 7-Eleven and other restaurants were partially flooded.  Some of the Pizza Hut walls completely collapsed.
Luckily we live on higher ground, but we did have a little flooding by our apartments.  Here is a shot I got of a spot in our apartment complex...yikes!
We got sick of being inside and I needed to get away from the internet and TV because it was sucking me in so I took Lucy out for a walk.  This girl loves her puddles.  Look how happy she was!
I got a little clip of her dancing in the puddles.  Towards the end she plays the puddle like a drum too, silly nilly!
On Friday, I went walking with a few of my neighbors so see some of the flood damage.  Here is what we found.
That big building is the Penn State Medical Center/Med School.  That lake is not supposed to be there.
This is right by the trail we walk on in the mornings.
We found a little salamander friend!  Something tells me he was far away from home.
Stockton and Lucy were intrigued by the funny little creature.

So what kind of natural disaster do you think will hit us next?  I'm taking bets... :)

2 comments:

momandpop said...

Poor Hershey Park. Have you been back there yet? Hope you have a mild winter. Fun photos of Lucy!

Unknown said...

Wowzas! When you say "flood," you mean it. That is an insane amount of water. Sad that the Bison died at the zoo :(