Monday, April 7, 2014

Kirtland Temple special night


I didn't realize how close Cleveland is to Kirtland until we moved out here. It's a quick 30-minute drive! I feel so blessed to live so close to such a special place, truly hallowed ground where so much of the revelation for the D&C was received and so many important events took place in our church history.

We were given an amazing opportunity to go to a special sacrament meeting they held tonight (yes, it's Monday, but it's the Monday after General Conference, which makes more sense) INSIDE the Kirtland Temple. It was a super rainy night so I didn't get to pause too long to look at the outside of it but every time I do I can't help but think of that account of people saying that during the dedication the top of the temple looked like it was on fire, and as they went inside the temple to see what was going on they saw angels. Wow, can you imagine?

“A noise was heard like the sound of a rushing mighty wind, which filled the Temple, and all the congregation simultaneously arose, being moved upon by an invisible power; many began to speak in tongues and prophesy; others saw glorious visions; and I beheld the Temple was filled with angels, which fact I declared to the congregation. The people of the neighborhood came running together (hearing an unusual sound within, and seeing a bright light like a pillar of fire resting upon the Temple), and were astonished at what was taking place. This continued until the meeting closed at eleven P.M. (History of the Church, 2:428).

There were wonderful talks given by our Stake Patriarch, bishop, and a member of the stake presidency and beautiful music which always invites the most sweet spirit, especially when the choir sang "The Spirit of God". Singing "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" at the end really touched my heart too. Brother Anderson talked about the temple itself and Kirtland and what a special place it was. It was the first temple built after the gospel was restored to the earth in this dispensation. It was recorded that Jesus Christ appeared in the temple 8 different times! I never realized that. It was so neat to sit down below and imagine the Prophet Joseph Smith standing at the pulpit and then to think about Jesus Christ showing himself to him and Oliver Cowdery, standing on the pulpit. And also Moses, Elias, and Elijah. (D&C 110)

Here is Joseph Smith speaking of his and Oliver Cowdery's experience in the temple on April 3, 1836...
 
"The veil was taken from our minds, and the eyes of our understanding were opened. We saw the Lord standing upon the breastwork of the pulpit, before us ; and under his feet was a paved work of pure gold, in color like amber.
His eyes were as a flame of fire ; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow ; his countenance shone above the brightness of the sun ; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of Jehovah saying:
I am the first and the last ; I am he who liveth, I am he who was slain ; I am your advocate with the Father.” (D&C 110:1-4)

I love this section so much. After Christ appears, Moses, Elias, and Elijah appear and restore all the priesthood keys. What a sacred place. It truly touched my heart tonight. I feel a stirring in my soul to go back and visit the sites and to invite others to come too. There is a special and very tangible spirit there. It's hard to quite put it into words.
We have such a short time here, just as the saints did. They were only in Kirtland for 7 years before they were forced to leave. The bishop challenged everyone to take the time that they have here and let it leave an imprint on us. There has been talk about a temple being built in Kirtland, but we still have some work to do before that will happen. I don't know if it will happen while we are here but how neat would that be to see it being built and be apart of the celebration. It just gives me the chills thinking about it.

I hope one day the Church will be able to purchase the original Kirtland Temple from the Community of Christ. It definitely is in need of some repairs. It still is beautiful and stands as a pinnacle on the hill. It makes me heart oh-so-happy when I see it. I just love this gospel. It brings me such peace and joy in a world filled with uncertainty and darkness. I love my Savior Jesus Christ. He is my light and I know as I look to him he will light my path and walk with me. Christ's light will always dispel the darkness. ALWAYS.

1 comment:

momandpop said...

That is my wish, too, Michelle. That you for your heartfelt testimony. Sound like an incredible meeting!